Thursday, January 08, 2009

Jay Reatard Sums up my attitudes toward singles vs. albums

Found this in the Onion A.V. Club Interview with Jay Reatard and it spoke to me. I am an album-tard, and find myself seeking singles to define my musical tastes. Here, Jay puts this psychosis in a way I never could.

AVC: You seem to value immediacy in your music. Does that mean you prefer the singles format to albums?

JR: I prefer it in the instant-gratification way, in the same way that smoking crack will make you feel fucking amazing instantly, but probably working out and eating Spirulina for fucking two years in the long run will be more fulfilling for you. That's what LPs and singles are to me. A single is really quick, man. You can get it out, and in two months have it on your merch table. And albums can take a really long time. But when you get done with an album, it's a lot more fulfilling.

Jay Reatard

No comments: