Thursday, October 30, 2008

CMJ Recap - Day 3: Vagrancy, Salem, Glasslands

Alright, so Thursday I blew off a panel about how fucked the industry is, to go to Piano's to catch part of the all day Brooklyn Vegan showcase. I showed up for the last 45 seconds of The Muslims. They were loud as FUCK. I met up with Ant and watched Japanese Motors, who were OK, and Friendly Fires, who I thought were sweet...again I lean towards the idiotic dance rock. I can't help myself. I left to back to the panels, which means I had to miss Crystal Antlers, which also meant I had to suffer Ant's ranting and raving about them later.


Japanese Motors


Friendly Fires

After my last panel, we headed to Brooklyn, driven by sheer curiosity, to check out a band with the greatest band name EVER. They were called "Check out the Tits on Tituba". The second I saw their name in the lineup I knew I had to see them. It was destiny...

I prayed to Satan that they would be a witch-hunt themed band who made references to their own name as often as possible. To my surprise, THEY FUCKING WERE! They dressed like witches and they were clearly more amused by their band name than I was, so they made tons of witch themed jokes:

COTTOT: "What did Giles Corey say as he was being pressed to death for witchcraft in 1692?"
CROWD: "More Weight!" [He really did, he was a beast]
COTTOT" "No, he said CHECK OUT THE TITS ON TITUBA!!!!"

Brilliant. Their music was OK, but the name was the centerpiece, the music was just an afterthought.

Observe:


After that we headed down the block to Glasslands, where I have never been before. Its an odd place but cool as hell. One of those barely legal "venues" in Brooklyn. More legal than Market Hotel, but FAR less legal than the Warsaw. Legal enough to take credit cards though.

Miles met up with us to throw down some vodka and talk big, tuxedo-related plans (I'll explain later). We saw So Percussion, and Itsnotyouitsme, who Miles happened to be friends with.

This was the kind of wanky, experimental show I found myself going to in my rare Minneapolis days, when I was running around with the great and powerful Oceans In Space. It was a refreshing counterpart to all the self consciously hip shit I had been seeing all week. Especially Itsnotyouitsme. Its great to see some guys play who are not worried about being ironic or kitschy, and are just GREAT at their instruments. Good for them.

So Percussion


Itsnotyouitsme

Thats all I got for now. Day 4 is on its way.

No comments: