Friday, February 08, 2008

Hot Chip - Highline Ballroom - Last Week

Aw Shit, so I know this was last week, but I guess timeliness is not one of our tenets here at ol' Name Drop Acid.

The show was fantastic, and it was a fine period to this weird ass run on sentence I've been writing about Hot Chip since before Christmas. I went with my good friend Miles, and Andrew, my current editor at MetroPop, also the guy who gave me my first internship out here.

After a whiskey or two, we made it in to Highline to check out Devlin and Darko warming everyone up. They threw Burial's "Archangel" on and it was a definite highlight. If you haven't heard Burial's album "Untrue" yet, its a moody piece of dubstep cement. Awesome.

Before "the boys" were even on, Miles had already roped in two pretty girls with his ridiculous gift of gab. Seriously, the kid can TALK, non-fucking stop, and sometimes girls like that. I played straight man to his Jerry Lewis, playing the wall and throwing in an occasional comment so they knew I wasn't mute.

Miles dances like all of my aunts put together, wiggly, white, and unashamed. By the first thwacks of "shake a fist", he had them both dancing excitedly, while Andrew and friend made their way over to us to "bro-down" on some canned beer.



Check the ending...its the best, and look at Felix in the middle, I guess he was unbelievably ill that night, he looks like he is about to drop dead. I seriously have this whole damn album memorized, so much to the point that it was disorienting when they switched up minor things like phrasing. This album is hard wired into me, my strange friend Omnii once told me that he could cue up an entire Boards of Canada album in his head and play it from start to finish by memory. I now know what he was talking about.

By the time "Over and Over" came through, I was high-fiving Andrew, ranting "thank you's" at him, for giving me the first and most important hook up out here, the one that led to exactly the last two years of madness that I have been proud to call "my life".



"Wrestlers" (my least favorite track on the new album...sorry guys it had to be one of them) was a great cue to go fill my pockets with canned Rolling Rock. Yes, thats right, Rolling Fucking Rock.



"Touch Too Much" came on and I was stealing Miles' dance partner, it wasn't like he cared, he just continued to dance like a white woman, one drunk hand waving in the air, the only other guy in the room who knew all the words.



Beautiful, all of it. As I slammed down mini-burgers at Pop Burger I was so proud (and drunk) to have been a part of this whole wacky process. Now I need to find another band to go all "fan-boy" on. Rest assured, no more Hot Chip for awhile, I promise.

Have a great weekend.

No comments: