Thursday, March 01, 2007

Phat Kat Review

Here is the review I did for Beautiful/Decay Magazine. The issue is out now. I love those guys. I worked the VIP section at their last party that was co-curated by a pretty upscale (read:pretentious) art studio. Meaning I had to quell a minor uprising of artsy fuckers with French Accents demanding VIP. The only exception I could find was this guy, Sun Tek Chung. He's cool as fuck.

Shady Milos later came to the party and hated my ear off for about an hour about the seven dollar beer.

Anyway, Here is the review.

PHAT KAT- CARTE BLANCHE
Look Records

Phat Kat was slept on, mishandled by a few labels, watched his city (Detroit) get grossly misrepresented, and had one of his best and brightest friends (Dilla) leave earth far too early. He put Carte Blanche together so we could hear exactly what it was like, in his words. The end result makes me darkly thankful for dead geniuses and major labels with their heads implanted in their asses. The beats on here (namely the 5 posthumous DIlla beats) are worth the trip alone, but they are nothing without Kat's "Motherfucker, I've been chained starving to this radiator for years now" type of flow. I listened to this record so many times I memorized where the "promo only" drops were. The point is that James Yancey might be resting but Phat Kat and everyone else on this record wants you to know that Detroit refuses to do the same.

No comments: