Monday, August 13, 2007

RIP Tony Wilson

Tony Wilson, founder of the Manchester label Factory Records (home to outstanding bands like Joy Division, New Order, and the Happy Mondays), and founder of The Hacienda, one of the most influential spaces in music history, died on Friday. Fuck.

The man knew music so well, he knew what people wanted to hear, see, and do, and he found it all and radiated it from Manchester, a place that seems so vile and dismal. he threw all kind of 'fuck you's' into the face of the modern music business. Signed contracts in blood, and remained truly independent, setting a new standard for ground-up music promotion right until the very end.

This is fucking terrible. If I had ever had the chance to talk to this guy, I'm sure he would think I was a complete twat, and he would be right. Whether I realize it or not, I've been trying to BE Tony Wilson ever since I saw the film 24 Hour Party People.

I was once lucky enough to stand in the presence of this guy, an idol of mine, and I will never forget it. I'm pretty sad that he's gone. Shit.

Tonight, I'm going to pour one out for Tony, and then start a label. You should do the same.


Rest In Peace.

No comments: