Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Bloc Party - Mercury



I've been bugging out about this song for a while now, but I haven't had time to write anything down...I still don't. All I have time for is a poorly written rant, but believe me, this track has affected me in ways I didn't expect it to.

The first time I heard this I thought I got some fucked up Baile Funk remix...with the rhythm, the canned horns, and the wacky percussion, I freaked. I liked it, but I wanted to hear the original. There is no remix. This is it! What the fuck?



Alright, I know hyperbole isn't hip, and that Bloc Party are free to do whatever the hell they want, but this was definitely a little jarring to hear from them. And it still is.

I suppose it's more "The Prayer" than "So Here We Are", and with the odd electro thing called "flux" I shouldn't be too surprised they came up with this for the next single.

Now here is the other thing... it works. True it sounds like Bonde De Role featuring Kele and there are no "instruments" to speak of (wtf was the band doing the whole time they were making this? stealing horn sounds from Howard Jones?),and it has "screwed up" vocals, yet somehow it sounds fucking awesome.

Kele shakes his fist into space as Mercury moves backwards across the sky..."Mercury's in retrograde", and the resulting cosmic distortion sets the Earth on it's other ear. He's "sleeping with people I don't even like" and when his future love passes him, he blows his chance...all he can say is, "hey".

He's got scars all over his hands, and as the fucked up subway percussion grows it kicks John Williams in the ass and he strikes up the international cinematic symbol for "downfall" - blaring horns and descending brass scales. It all comes apart. Kele's chances at love and happiness die before his eyes, Pepsi becomes Coke, Dogs and Cats live together, and society collapses, tearing itself apart at the altar of some kind of mutant tyrant.

After the crash, Mercury indifferently heads back in the right direction.

The video is cool, but its better looking in my head.


That's all I got. Just wanted to express a shred of the weirdness that comes to me as I listen to this song. I love this band.
Go to the site and buy the disc box.

No comments: