Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Marco Polo Review/Masta Ace/Name DROPPIN'


Marco Polo - Port Authority
On Rawkus/Soulspazzm

Rawkus? Yes I remember '99 too, but if they keep putting out records like this I might be able to let it go. A New Yorker by way of Canada, Marco's beats are all mini-epics, and damn near every MC on here steps up to make sure each one is utilized perfectly. Highlights come from Copywrite at the album's beginning, Large Professor, Kool G. Rap, Sadat X, Ed O.G., Buckshot in the middle, and J*Davey (whose singer has been giving me wood since "No More") in the end as a bonus. The real centerpiece of the album though, is "Nostalgia" with Masta Ace, a look back on NYC hip hop from a sunny day in Brooklyn. Check it out.


--So I wrote that review for Beautiful/Decay and sent it to Editor. We talked on IM briefly about it, and I mentioned that I couldn't get past the track with Masta Ace (I do that, I have a tendency to run a song straight into the ground). His response, "We're shooting a video for it next Sunday, we'll roll together".

Here's the video.
Marco Polo (Ft. Masta Ace) - "Nostalgia".
-From the album Port Authority on Rawkus.

The song is so dope. I'm a sucker for songs that have choruses comprised only of samples/scratching. Nothing can ruin a good underground hip hop song like a poorly sung/rapped chorus.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to be there, I got to meet/stand close to the "who's who" of the Brooklyn hip hop elite. Chip Fu from the Fu-Schnickens, Steele from Smif n Wessun (or Cocoa Brovaz), Grandaddy IU (Legend), Pumpkinhead (from Brooklyn Academy), Shabaam Saadiq, and more. If these names mean nothing to you, tough shit, do some homework. I was loving it, but I didn't expect to be in the damn video.


Ha, thats me on the far right, you can tell I'm about to crack a big stupid grin, because thats all I did all day there. The guy next to me is Saga, and he's cool as fuck.

I was there, unshaven and hungover, to help fill out the "posse cut", (the part where everyone is standing around the linoleum watching the dancers [the girls were fucking gorgeous], and the part on the steps) like i said, the "who's who" had their own section of the posse, I was in the "who's that?" section.

It was a great day. This is my favorite though, funny as hell...

HA!!! I also dig Marco's Converge hoodie. Metal.

I'm off to a US weekly lunch with Ludacris and then some BET thing tonight. I'll let you know how that shit goes.

No comments: